Saturday, August 19, 2006


Good Morning, ugh, I mean, Good Evening! I'm so confused! Can you say jet lag? We were all up at 3AM with a large carafe of latte delivered by 4AM. How strange.

First let me say, this is wonderful. We cant believe we're only 2 days away from meeting Sutton. I've just rearranged her suit case and she has a wardrobe large enough for one month here! Her bottles and diapers are all ready. ~No worries though. There's a Walmart superstore down the road from the hotel in Nanning if we need more. I guess it's not THAT rural.

Yesterday was a lovely day. We ended up taking a bus tour. Very smart. In just 3 hours or so, we had the opportunity to see Victoria Peak (picture) with the best view of Hong Kong. After, we hopped aboard a boat that took us through the Aberdeen Fishing Village. It's home to the worlds largest floating restaurant (seats over 2K) but also the home to incredible poverty. Families living on house boats that looked uninhabited. The dichotomy of wealth and poverty here is large . With that said, this is one happy city. I have the same feeling here as I did living in Chicago. Such an upbeat attitude and the respect for one another and their surroundings are apparent.

On our little tour, I learned much but thought you'd enjoy these UPI's (useful/useless pieces of information). The racetrack here is called the Happy Valley Racetrack. Those that attend will tell you win or lose, they're always happy. How could that be? Because no matter the outcome, the HVR donates 1/2 of their proceeds to the hospitals here in Hong Kong! The other tid bit is they (HK residents) are only buried for the first 6 years after death. They essentially rent their space for the mourners, then a 'specialist' exhumes the body for cremation. With 7 million living here in Hong Kong (1.4 Billion in China overall), I suppose they need to make use of their land as wisely as possible. It sounds a bit morbid. I actually think it's brilliant.

After the fishing village we went to a well known jewelry mart. We took quick tour of their workshop and then of course there was a store for purchases afterward. We saw some pretty things but they were like vultures and it really turned us off! Fun to look though.

Finally we toured Repulse Bay. OMG. Gorgeous. Apparently it's where Jackie Chan and the like live. Mansions dug into the side of the mountains with incredible views of the South China Sea. We ended in an open air market. They sure are sales people here!

Well, it's 5:38 AM and the gym opens in 20 minutes. Need to go work off some of my excited energy. I've barely slept, but oh well. It's good for getting me ready for Tuesday. Stay tuned for more!