Hello! It seems as if it's been an eternity since I last logged in. In actuality, I only missed one night but I have SO much to tell.First and most importantly, Miss Sutton is a dream come true. I could write the entire night about how much we think of her and how well she has blended into our family. She's a delight.
Yesterday morning (Sunday) we departed from Nanning to begin our 5 (yes five) hour bus ride to Guilin. It was an interesting moment. Let me explain.
When I had Ethan four years ago, I remember the feeling of laying in the hospital room awaiting his arrival from the nursery. It was as if they were about to deliver this big present to me. I just couldn't wait. Then, as we were about to depart, I remember not being able to believe that I got to take him home with me. ~I suppose I was wondering if they were going to include a 'HOW TO' manual as well.
Departing from Nanning I had many of the same feelings. However, for obvious reasons, it was a bit different. This departure was as if I had put a'period' on that part of this journey. That hotel will forever be associated with the arrival of our daughter. Now, as the bus pulled away with all of these beautiful creatures and their adoring parents, we now started the next chapter. Both a frustrating and tiring wait, but an adventure of another type. Maybe a wee bit of vacation? And so for the next five hours we motored through Southern China. Bumping along these rural paths awaiting the coveted arrival in Guilin. The views were like I've never seen before. It was both yesterday and today, a photo journalists dream trip. From road side construction where the workers live in huts next to the work site, to mountain peeks that call for hikers to relish in for days.
After we arrived and had a quick dip in the hotel pool, we ventured off to dinner. Now, I'm very clear that this picture has not translated as well as I would like. I would be remiss not to include it. When we entered this Chinese/Cantonese restaurant, much of the live stock sat in the room. No burning candles or music, just chickens, turtles, fish of all kinds and then this. The lower cage are snakes. Now on the trip our guide said the Chinese eat everything that flies except for airplanes. She neglected to address crawling items. On top though was the real site. They're called Raccoon Dogs. (MaryAnn, this is for you). They are the largest rats I've ever seen. ~There are only 3 in that cage, so you can imagine their size. I thought they were the snakes dinner. Ugh. No. Not on my menu! Yes. People eat them. OMG.Actually, dinner was quite good. No rats, snakes, or turtles. ~I think.

Today we went out on the famous Li River. It was breathtaking. Women washing their laundry, living in their huts amongst this beautiful backdrop. Guilin is fabulous and then some. Even as I write, the night brings green and red lights to the trees and surroundings. The buildings are lit up like Christmas trees . It's as happy as its inhabitants. The Chinese, wealthy or poor, clearly embrace much of their beliefs. Luck, prosperity,happiness, and hard work. It shows. I love the culture more every day. I love my little girl more every day.
More tomorrow. We leave for Guangzhou!

<< Home